Stuffed Bell Peppers
I Love Paleo! No Rice!
I check out the peppers at the store to make sure they stand up on their own. Trimming the bottoms at home to get them to stay upright can lead to leaks.
6 large bell peppers, tops, seeds and ribs removed
2 Tbsp oil or butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 lbs. ground burger
1 C cauliflower, ground or mashed or pulsed into rice sized bits
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (or 1 cup fresh tomato, diced)
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning (or, 1 tsp each dried basil, parsley and oregano)
1/4 tsp black pepper
Cheese of your choice. I love sharp cheddar.
- Melt lard over medium high heat in a large skillet
- Saute onions and garlic for three minutes, stirring frequently
- Add ground meat and stir to brown, about 5 minutes
- Add raw ground cauliflower and diced tomato, stir for about 10 minutes to cook off liquid
- Add salt, pepper and seasonings, stir to incorporate
- ♥ Stuff each pepper to the top of each pepper, spread tomato sauce on top of that
If you have leftover meat, just use a veggie dip or freeze for future. Or just stuff another pepper or two.
- Bake the peppers for one hour at 350 degrees until pepper is fork-tender.
- Sprinkle cheese on top of each pepper, and pop back into oven until just melted.
I added yellow and red cherry tomatoes, and baked turnip fries.